Active Luton is committed to providing inclusive and accessible facilities for all the community – regardless of age or ability.
Inspire: Luton Sports Village and Lewsey Sports Park have gained the Inclusive Fitness Initiative (IFI) ‘Registered Level’ accreditation. At Lea Manor Recreation Centre there are accessible and adaptable facilities plus a Level 3 accredited Exercise and Disability instructor.
IFI accreditations are managed by the English Federation of Disability Sport (EFDS) and recognise the achievements and commitment of leisure facilities that allow disabled people to become physically active and provide fully inclusive facilities where disabled and non-disabled people can be active together. IFI accreditation takes an all-round approach to improving leisure and sports facilities. It’s not just about physical access, as shown in the diagram:
The customer journey begins from the minute you arrive at one of our leisure centres. IFI accredited centres ensure that the journey for disabled people from arrival in the car park, their welcome at reception, through to fitness-related services including the gym area and equipment, changing rooms and toilets, all ensure that they enjoy an inclusive experience.
Inspire: Luton Sports Village and Lewsey Sports Park both have ‘registered’ level IFI. This means that they are proactive in offering an inclusive experience for people with disabilities. In practical terms this means that the centres have:
- Disabled parking spaces close to the entrance for disabled badge holders
- Automatic entrance doors and level access
- Low level reception desks
- Induction loops at service counters
- Dedicated changing and toilet facilities for people with disabilities
- Tactile signage
- A policy to welcome assistance dogs
- Lift access to all floors
- Disabled access to the pools with the assistance of hoists
- Waiting service at Perks cafe on request
- At least 75% of staff attend disability equality training
- One full time fitness instructor per centre qualified as level 3 accredited Exercise & Disability instructor
- IFI-accredited small equipment in the gym
At Lea Manor, there is accessible and adaptable gym equipment and also a Level 3 accredited Exercise and Disability Instructor.
Ask at our centres about the availability of our Exercise and Disability Instructors – they will be pleased to arrange a session to show you around our gyms and write a programme tailored to your needs.